Thursday, November 28, 2019

Let's Talk Turkey

Dickson Sports Media

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Check. Food, lots of food, being prepared. Check. Family. Check. Friends. Check. Football coming up. Check. There's so much more to be thankful for I probably couldn't make a list in three lifetimes.

Let's Talk Turkey
People ask me every year how I prepare turkey for Thanksgiving. Not because I'm an expert or anything even close, but people know that I love to eat which has led me to love cooking.

About three years ago I started a new approach to my turkey preparation, and so far it's worked out really well (hopefully this year will be no different).

Where to Start
I like to purchase a fresh, not frozen turkey, that weighs between 12-16 pounds. Twenty-four hours before cooking, I brine the bird. I also butterfly the bird. I cut out the spine, crack the breast bone, and open that bad boy up. I've discovered that my turkey cooks more evenly and a lot faster. I used to use a wet brine, but for the past couple of years I've been doing a dry brine. In the fridge uncovered. I prepared an herb rub that I grind down with a mortar and pestle, but a coffee or herb grinder works, and it's faster.

The Day Of...
On cooking day (which is today) I finish prepping the bird. First I get the smoker rolling. I like to use a mix of fruit wood (cherry and/or apple) and hickory. Probably 85-90 percent fruit wood. It gives a much milder flavor to the turkey. I don't want the smoke to over power the meat and seasoning. Now's the time I liberally add the herb rub. First I spritz the entire bird with water, then I rub in the rub. Watch out for sharp rib bones. I also gently lift the skin from the meat (try not to tear the skin) and rub it down with butter. EVERYTHING IS BETTER WITH BUTTER!

Once the smoker is heated up, in goes the turkey. I use a ThermoWorks leave-in probe thermometer so I can monitor the internal temp without having to open up the smoker. The amount of time it takes to reach an internal temp of 160-165 depends on several factors, but I like to check on things frequently. I've had turkeys finish in as little as two hours, but typically it takes three-ish.

No, I don't, ever, stuff a turkey. Just saying. If you do and it works for you, make it happen.

Leftovers
We always have turkey leftover. This year I'm going to make a smoked turkey curry. You'll want to be here for that one.

What's your turkey go-to method? For now, smoked, butterflied turkey is it for me. Have a great Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but ugly words aren't allowed...